Friday, March 27, 2009

Costly Treasure

"A holy despair in ourselves is the ground of true hope." Richard Sibbes

Reading Matthew 6:19-21 and this quote from Richard Sibbes today reminded me of how God's heart is that I find hope, help and joy in nothing other than Him.

This realization that is costly on two levels.

First, it forces me to come to grips with the fact that nothing in myself and my wants and dreams, my desires can bring true and lasting hope. This truth is costly [i.e. it costs me something, turning from what I want] and where this is revealed often is when I don't get those things and this shows me that my hope is being wrapped up in these pursuits.

The second level however, is to rejoice in the fact that as I come to the truth that the ground of my true hope is God, I realize in greater ways that He is the costliest treasure [i.e. the treasure of most worth] Nothing compares to knowing God, and being known by Him.

And so it is coming to the end of myself where I can find true hope and thus pursue eternal treasures.

No comments: