Friday, March 13, 2009

The Blessing of Counsel

Last week at church we heard from Jeremy Bell from Acts 20 and Paul's instructions to the Ephesians elders. From that message, we saw that the gospel liberates us from the prison of self to serve God seen most clearly in Paul's example.
One of the ways that we can continue to be imprisoned to self is by not bringing others into decision-making thinking our way is best and we don't need the help of others.
A couple of ladies from our Queens care group brought some great counsel on why this can be a struggle.
  1. There is no accountability if we don't bring people in to our decisions. If I bring people into decision making then I am accountable for the choices I make.
  2. There is a sacrifice of time necessary in bring other people into my decision making. It is easier to just step out and make choices and not ask others for advice.
I was really humbled by both of those answers, as I can look back on my life and the ways I have been selfish in these ways. I pray that these wise words help you in decision making in the days and weeks ahead as we see how the gospel provides us with the gift of brothers and sisters who can help us make wise choices so we can serve God more faithfully and fruitfully.

No comments: